Thursday, August 11, 2011

S.A.D. - Standard American Diet

If you are in the DC area, please check out the National Archives exhibit - "What's Cooking, Uncle Sam?" - The Government's Effect on the American Diet ~ www.archives.gov/exhibits/whats-cooking/.

The exhibit is a fascinating exploration into the Government's role in what we eat. It's amazing to see how marketing campaigns and propaganda have effected the health and well-being (and lack thereof )  of the American people.

From the distribution of genetically modified plant seeds to farmers, proposals to classify Ketchup and Relish as vegetables, "Vitamin Donuts"... really??? Milk - more important for children than meat or other proteins??? Wow!

I don't know specific stats but I wouldn't be surprised if the high rates of obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. are connected to these efforts of the Government.

My brief stroll through the exihibit really reinforces my desire to learn as much as I can during my coursework this year with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (http://www.integrativenutrition.com/  to help people develop heathly eating and self care habits through consuming whole foods, preparing meals and eating at home and enjoying nature.

I plan to spend a little more time in the exhibit to learn as much as I can.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment